The XCarLink (formerly AudioLink) USB MP3 Player Integration Kit will revolutionize the way you listen to music in your late-model Mazda! Simply plug in a USB flash drive or SD card and the unit will play any MP3 or WMA files stored on the drive or card through your car's factory stereo system. The unit will automatically turn on when you start your car, and will even resume playing right where you left off. It allows you to use your steering wheel controls to change songs and it also features a 1/8" stereo jack to allow you to input other sources, such as satellite radio.
- Exclusive built-in high quality MP3/WMA decoder.
- Power on automatic play function.
- No battery required.
- Direct connection with CD-quality sound.
- 1/8" stereo jack for other auxiliary input.
- Allows the use of the steering wheel controls to change songs.
- Built-in SD card reader.
- optional Bluetooth handsfree kit (compatible with any Bluetooth mobile phone; outputs phone call through speakers when XCarLink is in use)
USB XCarLink Usage Instructions:
- Press the CD button twice or use the MODE button on your steering wheel to access the XCarLink unit. The LCD will display EX1: 1 when the XCarLink is selected and a USB device is attached or an SD card is inserted. If there is no USB device attached and no SD card inserted or if there are problems reading the USB device, the display will read EX8:88. If the proper folder structure (detailed below) is not present, the display may flash "NO DISC".
- If you have a USB storage device attached or SD card inserted, the XCarLink will begin to play songs from the designated folders on the device or card.
- Songs MUST be placed in designated folders on the flash drive. The folders must be named CD01, CD02, …up to CD06. When the flash drive is plugged into the XCarLink, each of these folders is recognized as a “disc” – meaning it starts in the CD01 folder, and if you press DISC+/-, it will change to the other folders. The XCarLink will recognize up to 99 songs for each folder. This allows you to organize your music more easily.
- You may change tracks by using the steering wheel controls or the seek buttons on the center console.
- The timer on the LCD will be accurate for each song.
- The random button can be used to play songs in a random order. If you change tracks while you are in random mode, the next track in the playlist will be selected and random mode will be canceled. If you are in random mode and you would like to switch to another random song rather than the next song in the playlist, you should press the random button twice.
- Fast forward and rewind have no effect.
- If you have a cable plugged into the 1/8" stereo plug, the XCarLink will stop playing songs from the USB storage device or SD card.
Installation is easy, but does require removal of your vehicle's head unit from the center console. Once the head unit is removed, the XCarLink simply plugs into the auxiliary/satellite radio port, located on the back of the head unit, as pictured below (actual port may differ slightly in some vehicles). The XCarLink wiring can then be routed to your glove box, down the center console to the cupholders, or wherever would be most convenient for you.
NOTE: MP3 files MUST strictly adhere to the MP3 standard. Files that are not encoded properly, or that are corrupt will not play properly. WMA files must be unprotected. If they are encoded with DRM, they will not play properly. Also, the XCarLink may have trouble reading from some USB flash drives, particularly ones that are older.
NOTE for 2004 Mazda 6 and ALL international Mazda 6:
The factory headunit requires a small modification to the circuit board in order to enable use of the auxiliary/satellite radio port. This was not an issue in 2003 and was resolved for the 2005 model year. If you have a 2004 Mazda 6 or a Mazda 6 that was manufactured in Japan and would like more details, please contact us.
NOTE for 2004 Mazda RX-8:
The factory headunit's firmware revision must be 9.55 or greater. The unit will not work on earlier firmware revisions or with 9.81 or 10.01. To find out which revision your Mazda RX-8 has, make sure the radio (FM) is turned on, then press and hold "TEXT." Then, also press and hold "1" at the same time for a few more seconds. The LCD should then report your firmware version.
NOTE for 2002-2005 Mazda MX-5:
The XCarLink is only compatible with the modular (non-BOSE) headunit.
NOTE for Mazda CX-7, CX-9, and 2009 Mazda 6:
The XCarLink is only compatible if the factory navigation system is NOT installed.
NOTE for vehicles with factory auxiliary input:
The XCarLink unit is not compatible with the factory auxiliary input. Both this unit and the factory auxiliary input connect to the headunit using the same port, so only one or the other may be used at any given time.
NOTE for vehicles with integrated Sirius Satellite Radio:
The XCarLink unit is not compatible with the integrated Sirius satellite radio module. Both this unit and the factory satellite radio module connect to the headunit using the same port, so only one or the other may be used at any given time. If you have the satellite radio, but do not use it, you are able to switch to the XCarLink with no problems.